Start a new topic

New Donor Notepad

I am trying to figure out how to put a note on new records that are created with IOM as a kind of audit trail.

Is there anything like Default Gift Notepad for constituents?

Hi Wayne,

There are two ways I can immediately think of to create an audit trail on constituent records touched by ImportOmatic.

Using your example of a Default Notepad, you could add the Notes to Default Sets in The Raiser's Edge for new and existing individual records. You can access your Default Sets in The Raiser's Edge under Tools > Organize/Create Defaults. The Notes would be found within the available fields for Individuals. If you use this option, make sure to add these notes to either the existing Default Sets in use within your profiles, or add the new Default Sets to your import profiles (within Defaults). You can apply these same steps for tracking Organizations, as well.

The other option would be to just add a Virtual Field to your active profiles, containing a static constituent attribute or note. However, you would have only a single attribute for both new and modified constituents. If you prefer different notes, depending on whether the constituent was new or modified, using Default Sets may be a better solution for you.

Does anyone else have additional ideas of how Wayne could accomplish his goal? I'm curious to hear about what creative solutions other users have found!

Amanda Tetanich, bCRE
Software Trainer | Omatic Software
I would love to use default sets but I want to include information about the specific import row in the note.

To be more precise I want to make a note on a new donor record that records what import file and data was used to create the constituent.
You could create a temporary attribute, and include that attribute in a new constituent default for new constituents added via IOM, so that when you use that Constituent default in the IOM import, it will load the attribute to new records only and not to existing records, and then globally remove the attribute when the auditing is done.
Thanks for the suggestion Erin!

I do something like this already but in this case I want to be able to record a lot of information and I want to be able to keep it around for the future. So basically I want to make a note for each time the record is changed (including when it is created) and store all of the information that is used to create/update the record.

The attribute is a good idea though for checking when a constituent is new or not, I will have to do some testing!
Login or Signup to post a comment