Start a new topic

Constituent Attribute - Virtual Field Help

I am having difficulty working with virtual fields, since we haven't needed to use them much until now.

I have three constituent attributes to import in the profile I have created:

1. In the flat file, I have the team name, which we want to import to the comment of the appropriate constituent attribute. What isn't in the file is the constituent attribute category (GCC Participation) or description (2016).

2. Similar to the first, in the flat file, I have the team name, which we want to import to the comment of the appropriate constituent attribute. What isn't in the file is the constituent attribute category (GCC Fundraising Total) or description (2016).

3. In the flat file, I have the reason they participated in the event, which we have a table in the description built for to code. What isn't in the file is the constituent attribute category (GCC Participation Reason), and then we also want to insert in the date field "6/1/2016".

How would one go about this coding?

For the first two it sounds like you just need to create a virtual field and select "Constituent Attribute: Description" as the Record Type and then for the Value Type you can choose the Category of the attribute. Then, to give the description, you would name the field "2016" and use the Static Value function to use the name of the field as the value of the field. Finally, you could then map your existing column (with the comments) to Constituent Attribute: Comments and then select your new virtual field as the Value Type (it should be at the bottom of the list)

ex.
Column Field Name Record Type Value Type (function)
A Comment Constituent Attribute - Comments Field X
X (virtual) 2016 Constituent Attribute - Description GCC Participation Static Field (field name)

For #3 I think you could do a similar thing but I don't quite understand what you mean by " we have a table in the description built for to code"

I mean by the third one that I am mapping a description rather than a comment.

I think I'm following you otherwise - thank you

Ok, so you just need the one step of Record Type = Constituent Attribute: Description and then Value Type = the attribute category
Well, I thought I understood, but I apparently don't.

Getting this error:
Source row 1 produced Excel error row 2: Invalid Code table entry: Description [Object: 'CAttribute', PK: '-4', Import ID: '', Desc: 'Team Name', Field: 'Description', Value: 'Team Name'] -->BBREAPI.CRecordClass.Save()-->ImportOM.CImport.#=qDdBSgcuvH5$T4z9KavQoX1L6bW_ViB7S9dX9jhgEWds=()
I think you want the description to be 2016 so you should name the field "2016" (no quotes).

It looks weird but just remember that with the Static Field function it will take the name of the field and use that as the value.
Working now! Thank you!!
Login or Signup to post a comment