Start a new topic

Import matching non-constituent record

I am importing new alumni.

I want them to match to their specific constituent records based on ID or create a new full constituent record.

I do not want them to match to a non-constituent relationship (child) record unless it can be promoted to a full constituent.

Currently am having problem where some records are matching to the non-constituent relationship (child) record on the parent record based on that same ID, but they are not being promoted to full constituent. Is it possible to promote these records?

If not how do I keep these records from matching to the relationship?

Hi Therese,

Just to make sure I understand your question correctly, the alum is sometimes a child with an ID on their parent's record, so the ID number you're using to add them is identifying the relationship, and not letting you promote them to their own full constituent record? Also, do you have any non-biographical fields included in your import that would normally not be allowed on a nonconstituent record? For example: gifts, memberships, event participation, attributes, notes, appeals, tributes, constituent codes, ratings, volunteer job assignments, actions, financial relationships, solicitor relationships, education relationships, organization relationships, individual relationships, honor memorial.

Thanks!

Amanda Tetanich, bCRE
Associate Product Manager | Omatic Software

Hi Amanda,

Yes the alum is often a child relationship with an ID in an individual relationship attribute on their parent's record. I am trying to add the new alum as full constituents but some do not get promoted. Yes the alum is imported with attributes, education relationship, constituent codes, and ratings.

Thanks, Therese

Okay, I'm going to try to test this to see if I can figure out a solution for you. Do you mind attaching a copy of the column headers you're using, so I can mimic your import as closely as possible? (Make sure to remove any identifying details about records.)

-Amanda
One more thing - when I add a nonconstituent child to my record, it does not allow me to enter an ID number. Do you mind adding a screenshot of one of your child records where you have an ID assigned? (Again, make sure to remove or blur out any identifying details of the individual.)

Thanks!

-Amanda
I add the ID as an Individual Relationship Attribute
Category = Student ID
Description = ID#

How do I send a screenshot?
Columns:
pidm SPRIDEN_ID SPRIDEN_LAST_NAME SPRIDEN_FIRST_NAME SPRIDEN_MI SPBPERS_BIRTH_DATE spbpers_ssn SPBPERS_LGCY_CODE SPBPERS_ETHN_CODE SPBPERS_RELG_CODE SPBPERS_MRTL_CODE SPBPERS_SEX SPBPERS_CONFID_IND SPBPERS_DEAD_IND SPBPERS_ACTIVITY_DATE SPBPERS_NAME_PREFIX SPBPERS_NAME_SUFFIX SPBPERS_DEAD_DATE SPRADDR_ATYP_CODE SPRADDR_SEQNO SPRADDR_STREET_LINE1 SPRADDR_STREET_LINE2 SPRADDR_STREET_LINE3 SPRADDR_CITY SPRADDR_STAT_CODE SPRADDR_ZIP SPRADDR_NATN_CODE STVNATN_NATION SPRADDR_FROM_DATE SPRADDR_TO_DATE SPRADDR_ACTIVITY_DATE SPRTELE_SEQNO SPRTELE_TELE_CODE PHONE SPRTELE_ATYP_CODE SPRTELE_ADDR_SEQNO SPRTELE_PRIMARY_IND SPRTELE_UNLIST_IND SPRTELE_COMMENT SPRTELE_ACTIVITY_DATE ACTY_ACTC_1 ACTY_YEAR_1 ACTY_ACTC_2 ACTY_YEAR_2 ACTY_ACTC_3 ACTY_YEAR_3 ACTY_ACTC_4 ACTY_YEAR_4 ACTY_ACTC_5 ACTY_YEAR_5 ACTY_ACTC_6 ACTY_YEAR_6 ACTY_ACTC_7 ACTY_YEAR_7 ACTY_ACTC_8 ACTY_YEAR_8 ACTY_ACTC_9 ACTY_YEAR_9 ACTY_ACTC_10 ACTY_YEAR_10 ACTY_ACTC_11 ACTY_YEAR_11 ACTY_ACTC_12 ACTY_YEAR_12 SPORT_ACTC_1 SPORT_YEAR_1 SPORT_ACTC_2 SPORT_YEAR_2 SPORT_ACTC_3 SPORT_YEAR_3 SPORT_ACTC_4 SPORT_YEAR_4 SPORT_ACTC_5 SPORT_YEAR_5 SPORT_ACTC_6 SPORT_YEAR_6 SPORT_ACTC_7 SPORT_YEAR_7 SPORT_ACTC_8 SPORT_YEAR_8 SPORT_ACTC_9 SPORT_YEAR_9 SPORT_ACTC_10 SPORT_YEAR_10 SPORT_ACTC_11 SPORT_YEAR_11 SPORT_ACTC_12 SPORT_YEAR_12 SPORT_ACTC_13 SPORT_YEAR_13 SPORT_ACTC_14 SPORT_YEAR_14 SPORT_ACTC_15 SPORT_YEAR_15 SPORT_ACTC_16 SPORT_YEAR_16 SPORT_ACTC_17 SPORT_YEAR_17 JWSHSTD_ACTC_1 JWSHSTD_YEAR_1 JWSHSTD_ACTC_2 JWSHSTD_YEAR_2 JWSHSTD_ACTC_3 JWSHSTD_YEAR_3 JWSHSTD_ACTC_4 JWSHSTD_YEAR_4 JWSHSTD_ACTC_5 JWSHSTD_YEAR_5 JWSHSTD_ACTC_6 JWSHSTD_YEAR_6 JWSHSTD_ACTC_7 JWSHSTD_YEAR_7 JWSHSTD_ACTC_8 JWSHSTD_YEAR_8 SBGI_CODE Shrdgmr_seq_no Shrdgmr_levl_code Shrdgmr_degs_code Shrdgmr_degc_code Shrdgmr_grad_date Shrdgmr_coll_code_1 Shrdgmr_majr_code_1 Shrdgmr_majr_code_1_2 Shrdgmr_acyr_code Shrdgmr_acyr_code_bulletin Shrdgmr_camp_code Shrdgmr_dept_code Shrdgmr_dept_code_1_2 Shrdgmr_majr_code_minr_1 Shrdgmr_majr_code_minr_1_2 Shrdgmr_majr_code_conc_1 Shrdgmr_majr_code_conc_1_2 Shrdgmr_majr_code_conc_1_3 Shrdgmr_majr_code_conc_121 Shrdgmr_majr_code_conc_122 Shrdgmr_majr_code_conc_123 Shrdgmr_STVTERM_END_DATE Shrdgmr_STVTERM_END_YEAR SHRDGCM_COMMENT DEPT_HONOR_CODE1 DEPT_HONOR_SEQ_NO1 DEPT_HONOR_CODE2 DEPT_HONOR_SEQ_NO2 DEPT_HONOR_CODE3 DEPT_HONOR_SEQ_NO3 DEPT_HONOR_CODE4 DEPT_HONOR_SEQ_NO4 DEPT_HONOR_CODE5 DEPT_HONOR_SEQ_NO5 DEPT_HONOR_CODE6 DEPT_HONOR_SEQ_NO6 INST_HONOR_CODE1 INST_HONOR_SEQ_NO1 INST_HONOR_CODE2 INST_HONOR_SEQ_NO2 INST_HONOR_CODE3 INST_HONOR_SEQ_NO3 INST_HONOR_CODE4 INST_HONOR_SEQ_NO4 INST_HONOR_CODE5 INST_HONOR_SEQ_NO5 SFBSTDN_TOTAL_HRS_END
Hi Therese,

I sent you an email so that you can send the screenshots to me directly.

Thanks!

-Amanda
Following
Hi Therese,

I took a look at all of the information you've provided here and in the profile, and I think we've got a few things going on that are making it seem like the import is "matching" records by an attribute when that's not really the case.

The only way I could get ImportOmatic to promote a child to a full constituent during import was when I used a unique identifier to head straight to that child's record. In my case, I assigned the nonconstituent child an ID number in the alias field, and I set my profile to use that number in "Constituent Alias - Match or Add" in the field map. It found the existing nonconstituent child and promoted him to a full record so that I could add the rest of my details. From what I can tell in your profile, you're also using an alias, but you only have it set to "Constituent Alias - Add." Therefore, it is not being used to search for a record, and IOM is relying on other bits of information to try to find the record through duplicate searching. The duplicate search only looks at full constituents and spouses, not all nonconstituent records (children, for example). So, unless the child has a full constituent record already, you will not see them appear in your search results at all.

During the import process, you may see the child's parent appear in the duplicate search results since they have so many fields in common (last name, address, etc.). It's possible you are matching to the parent's record by mistake, so it looks as though the child's record was not updated. This would also mean the education details were added to the parent.

To resolve this, I recommend making sure those IDs you're currently storing in attributes on the relationships added as aliases on the relationships, then switch your first row in the field map to "Constituent Alias - Match or Add." This will identify all existing children's records and promote them to full constituents like you want. Any child who is not found by that Alias ID will be added as a new, full constituent.

If you continue to run into funny business during the import, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team by clicking on the Support button at the top of this screen. They're best-equipped to dig further into the issue and see if there's a bug or some other setting that is triggering unexpected behavior.

Thank you for quick responses, and happy importing!

Amanda Tetanich, bCRE
Hi Amanda,

I have a current case opened and this is exactly what I am trying to do. However, I have been told that matching to the alias on a non-constituent doesn't allow me to promote to a non-constituent.  I would love to know how to get this to work!
Hi Shalena,

Hmm... there must be some difference between how our profiles are configured. I'm looking into it with our Support team and we'll follow up with you through your case.

Thanks!

-Amanda
Hi,

We've released version 3.2.4 of ImportOmatic, which includes a fix to the non-constituent alias matching issues reported.

You can review the release notes here:
https://www.omaticsoftware.com/Forums/tabid/108/aft/1985/Default.aspx

If you have questions about updating ImportOmatic, our Support team is standing by to assist.

Thank you,

Amanda Tetanich, bCRE
Login or Signup to post a comment