Start a new topic

RegEx help - if not blank, then populate another field

I have a file with Column X that sometimes will be populated with data that I want to put into a Note on an individual record.

The note requires a note type.

I would like the import to automatically populate that note type with "Bio" and then add the note with the data in Column X.

What I have is:

a dictionary matching on ^.+$  to add "Bio" and a virtual field using Column X as a seed and applying the dictionary

It's not working. 

I am utterly new to this, so any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Erin,

How is it not working? Have you checked the "Use Regular Expressions" box at the bottom? It will make a little regex show up next to Bio in your values.

You are definitely going about this the right way though!
Thanks, Wayne. The dictionary does have the "Use Regular Expressions" box checked.

When I test it, it only works if I input a space into the top box. If I just hit "Test" it doesn't work....Wondering if that is a clue to the problem?

This is what my test dictionary looks like.

A is the test where I enter data

B is the test where I enter nothing (just hit Test)

Thank you! I think I figured it out. The DATE field also needs to be populated. I think I actually figured out how to fix that. The only problem is that after my experimentation, when I run an import, now the duplicate search is compressing the name columns and even though I expand them on a record, when I move to the next record, the columns are narrow again, making the names unreadable. Bizarre. If you have a simple solution to that, I'm all ears:-)

Thanks so much for the help! It's great to have fixed the Bio issue!
Glad to help!

Unfortunately I haven't come across the shrinking column issue. Good luck!
Turns out that was due to a Citrix outage -- all working perfectly now - thank you so much for the help today, Wayne!
Posted By Erin Nelson on 24 Oct 2014 10:18 AM
Thank you! I think I figured it out. The DATE field also needs to be populated. I think I actually figured out how to fix that. The only problem is that after my experimentation, when I run an import, now the duplicate search is compressing the name columns and even though I expand them on a record, when I move to the next record, the columns are narrow again, making the names unreadable. Bizarre. If you have a simple solution to that, I'm all ears:-)

Thanks so much for the help! It's great to have fixed the Bio issue!

Erin, I was wondering if you could share how you fixed the DATE Field. I'm trying to do the same thing and I haven't been able to figure out how to get the date to populate when I have a note to add but not populate when there isn't anything to add.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Matt, have you tried to add a virtual field for the date and a RegEx for not blank to convert to a date? That's what I would do.

Posted By Teddi Taylor on 10 Dec 2014 10:22 AM

Matt, have you tried to add a virtual field for the date and a RegEx for not blank to convert to a date? That's what I would do.

I'm actually trying to do the same thing, but when using a virtual field with a RegEx not blank field I've only been able to populate the date field with a static date, has anyone found a way to do this with the current date?
You will have to do a custom function if you want to use the current date I think.
Login or Signup to post a comment