Start a new topic

Effect of ignoring fields in the data file

Hello, I've always been in the position where the data file I had to import did not have any extraneous fields, because I created the files. But now, I'm going to need to import data from a file, and can either chose 'Ignore' in the Profile, or copy over columns and create a new file where I wouldn't have to ignore fields. I know this is probably crazy, but I've never liked the idea of having a file and then ignoring a bunch of the fields. Is there any logical reason for that? Does it affect how well the data is imported, to a batch? The file itself would have about 40 fields,and I'd be ignoring maybe 9 nine of them.

We ignore fields in a lot of our profiles, on the suggestion of the IOM team, it makes importing much easier as there is less data manipulation after a file is returned to us from external agencies so we just import the data we need to update constituents and create gifts.
It has no effects (that I see) except making life so much easier, and if one day you decide you want to import that data its easy enough to just choose the field to map.

Hi Nanette,

The impact of ignoring fields is not having to manually remove extraneous columns from your data file before you can import! It is very common that source systems output data that are not needed, or are not desired, or have nowhere to go, in Raiser's Edge.

Being able to simply ignore those columns saves time, and reduces your margin for error, when compared to manually manipulating the data files each time. As Erin mentions, the ignore feature makes it easy to use those columns, in the future, should they someday contain data you wish to import.

Thanks!

Tiffany

Login or Signup to post a comment