Start a new topic

Event Import from excel with (unidentified) constituent and non-constituent details

Hi, I have a number of guest lists that have been supplied to me in excel format that I am thinking I should be able to use ImportOmaticto be able to bring into The Raiser's Edge Events Module.
The issue I have is some are and some are not constituents. Unfortunately this is not identified on the excel spreadsheet (noted to fix for future imports). I also have limited information but I do have First Name, Surname and email address.
Will running the import twice (with a modified profile on the second pass) address this? I am thinking I get the first "pass" to look for duplicates but not create new (which will cause an exception) and then modify the exceptions file to identify they are not a constituent and run again.
I am relatively new at all of this and would appreciate some advice if I am on the right track or way off base (or if there is an easier wayto do this!) Thanks in advance

Hi Karen,

Yes, you will import the file twice - the first time you're matching to existing constituents and the second time you're importing your new participants as non-constituents. This forum post describes how you will import your file.

Step two in the above link is referring to a column you'll need for the second pass, where you have a value of "no" mapped to Record Type = Participant Field and Value Type = Participant is a Constituent - this will import the participants as non-constituents.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Amanda
Omatic Support

Fantastic! Thank you - I tried (obviously unsuccessfully) to locate a previous post as I was sure it would have been asked.
Thank you as well for you speedy response!
Hello again so I am doing something incorrect, I am sure it is simple but I am not sure what it is. My file is very small and I have tried modifying it a number of ways but still at a loss to what I am doing wrong. The import seems to work ( I receive an exception but I expect that ) but when I access the event record that it is meant to have been updated it is blank. Is there a certain field I MUST have for it to work?
Hi Karen,

At the very least you'll need the Event ID, but you would see an error that the Event ID is missing.

You can send your data file and profile to our Support team at support@omaticsoftware.com and we can take a look for you. To send the profile:

* IOM Configuration
* Highlight the profile you are using
* Right click on its name and choose to export
* Send the .xml file that is created
* It will be named in this fashion: IOM_Profile_Export_.xml

Thank you,
Amanda
Omatic Support
Thanks for your prompt response!
I will send it in when I back in the office tomorrow morning.
I do have the event ID but it is one of the last headings - should that matter?
Thanks again
Hi Karen,

It's ok for the Event ID to be at the end of the file. We'll take a look at your files and see what may be missing.

Thank you,
Amanda
Omatic Support
Login or Signup to post a comment