Start a new topic

Best way to apply different data to new vs. existing constituents

We are using IOM 2.4.  We have an import file with a mix of new and existing constituents.  For new constituents, we would like to add a constituent code and a set of attributes.  For existing constituents, we don't want to add those attributes or constituent codes.  Is there a way to do this without using the API? Do I have to do two passes?  Can I use default sets?  Please advise.

Thanks!

Hi Art,

Yes, you will use a Raisers Edge default set for this. In version 2.4, default sets only apply to new records. This Knowledgebase solution describes how to use default sets in IOM.

Starting in version 2.5 you can also assign default sets for existing records as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Amanda
Omatic Support
Amanda,
I am running IOM 2.6.1.3.
I can't quite figure out how to not add an attribute on a record if it already exists using a default set. We have a category of "Paragon #" which is a text field and is different for each constituent. It is populated in my data file which has both new and existing constituents in it, but if it already exists on the constituent record I don't want it added again.
I'm thinking this may not be able to be done.
Thanks for your help.
Barbara
So, would someone please confirm that this cannot be done....my post above. I don't want the same attribute category added to an existing constituent's record if it already exists. Currently I'm getting 2+ of the same attribute added to an exisiting constituent record -- if the record exists I don't want it added.
Thanks,
Barbara
P.S. Would someone in support please fix my signature so it shows separate lines and not one continuous one...please? :)

Hi Barbara,

You said

I can't quite figure out how to not add an attribute on a record if it already exists using a default set.

and

[The attribute "Paragon #"] is populated in my data file which has both new and existing constituents in it, but if it already exists on the constituent record I don't want it added again.

So I'm a bit confused as to whether you are adding this attribute with a default set or if the attribute value is in your data file. Also, based on this

if the record exists I don't want it added.

is it safe to assume that ANY existing constituent already has the attribute? (just confirming that "record" means constituent and not attribute).

If you are adding the value by a default set and you can assume any existing constituent already has the attribute, then you will need two different default sets, one with the attribute for new constits, one without for existing constits. You would set these default sets here:

If this attribute data is in your import data file and you do not want to add another attribute, you would choose either "Update existing" or "Ignore new value" under Constituent settings (see below). Another option might be converting your attribute to be unique in the Raiser's Edge, so you'll never have two of the same attribute again.

Does this answer your question?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for answering. The attribute value is in my import file on all records (new and existing). However, not all existing constituents in the import file will have this attribute already populated on the attribute tab. If the attribute doesn't exist on either new or existing constituent records I want it added; if the attribute exists on the constituent record, I don't want it added.
I'll try your 2nd solution: the attribute data is in my import file.
Thanks for fixing my signature also!
Barbara
Barbara,
why don't you make the attribute "Only 1 per record" in Config in RE?
Login or Signup to post a comment