Start a new topic

Importing Event Participants

I have a question on non-constituents in imports. Because we import from Convio and our database and Convio don't always have the same information (hoping to fix that with the connector soon!), I don't know if someone is a constituent or a non-constituent before importing. I am relying on IOM to do a check, but I don't want to create constituents where I want a non-constituent in the Event Module. I tried using the Y/N for Participant is Constituent, but when used on someone who IS a constituent - marking them N because there was no ID number in the Convio export that I import from - it made an exception instead of just creating a non-constituent relationship. What I want it to do is to create a non-constituent participant when a matching constituent isn't found in the database. Is this possible?

Thank you -- I appreciate the response. We will just not be able to import these for the time being, then. We don't know for sure if someone is a constituent or not, and that is our problem. What I was hoping for would be for the system to create a non-constituent if it searches the database and finds no matches, since the file we have access to for imports does not include a consistent Y or N we can rely on for the Is Constituent field. I suppose I could always load everyone as non-constituents for the time being and go back to try linking them. I appreciate the help!
I agree with Callie - having a two step proces is better than not importing them at all. You get the constituents done first then use the "reject" file and import them as participants. Fairly straightforward.

Hi Katie,

You can absolutely do this very easily, it's just that you would process the import file once and then make a change to the profile and import the exceptions file from the first import. The first method I thought of is a little different than Callie's, but conceptually the same. Here are the exact  steps (and don't forget the last one):

1) In the profile, check the box on the "Constituents" node that says "Do not add new constituents if they do not match an existing record".

2) In the profile, change the "Participant is Constituent" field mapping to "Ignore"

3) Import file. Only those rows that match to an existing constituent will be imported, the rest will be in the exceptions file.

4) In the profile, undo changes from steps 1 & 2, and turn off Duplicate Searching (you can leave it on if you want, but no point)

5) Import the exceptions file, all remaining rows that were not matched to an existing constituent will not be non-constits.

6) Take the rest of the day off, you deserve it!

Let us know how it goes!

Jeff

Thank you everyone -- I will see about using this as a work around for the time being! I appreciate the quick responses. Don't worry, Jeffrey, I will most certainly make sure to follow step 6!
Just gave this a try and it will work!

Now on to my new issue -- it isn't importing my registration, registration date, or participation type, even though I have it mapped. Am I missing a field that is required for those things to be imported?
Hi Katie,

I'm glad to hear that work around will work for you.

Regarding the other pieces not importing, I am sorry you are encountering a more complicated issue! In order to properly assist you with this particular issue, I will need to examine the data file and the IOM profile being used for this import. Please send these files to Support@omaticsoftware.com so that I can better assist you with your issue. When I have a resolution, I will post to this thread.

To send your IOM profile, please follow these steps:

* Go to IOM Configuration
* Highlight the name of the profile you are using
* Right click on it and choose to export
* Send the .xml file that is created
* It will be named in this fashion: IOM_Profile_Export_.xml

Thanks!
Amanda
Omatic Support
Thanks, Amanda -- it's on its way!
Thank you again Katie for sending in your files.

The issue was that we needed to build dictionaries to convert the values in the data file to match the values in the tables for registered and participant type. Once we created and applied dictionaries to convert Yes to Registered and Yes to Participant, the file imported as desired.

Amanda
Omatic Support
I am back again a year later :) We heard at the conference that we may be able to update the profile created to now populate the Registration Units and the No. of Units, etc on the Registration Fees tab. Is this true? If so, this would save us loads of time and I would like to learn how to make those changes to our current profile!
Hi Katie,

You are able to import registration fee information to a participant's record:

Or do you mean importing the registration fee information onto the Event record? Unfortunately IOM is unable to import to that field, so the fee information will need to be set up on the event prior to importing.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Amanda
Omatic Support

I thought this might be the best thread to troubleshoot my problem.

I'm also trying to import event participants. The first import worked fine. I then tried importing the same group of people into another event. Importomatic reported that it added/updated the correct amount of records. When I view the relevant event(s) in the Raiser's Edge, these people have not been imported into the second event. As part of both imports I am updating the Constituent Appeal - Appeal field. I can see that this is updated as the first import recorded one value, and I can see a second value for the second import. This is imported as a virtual field which is the same as the Participant - Event ID field.

I am supplying the Constiuent Field - ID to allow Importomatic to match the participant to the already existing constituent.

A bit of information about our setup:

We are hosted by Blackbaud.
I am using Importomatic 2.6.0.16

Hi Henry,

In order to properly assist you with this particular issue, I will need to examine the following files: the data file and the IOM profile being used for this import. Please send these files to Support@omaticsoftware.com so that I can better assist you with your issue. When I have a resolution, I will post to this thread.

To send your IOM profile, please follow these steps:

* Go to IOM Configuration
* Highlight the name of the profile you are using
* Right click on it and choose to export
* Send the .xml file that is created
* It will be named in this fashion: IOM_Profile_Export_.xml

Thanks!
Amanda
Omatic Support
Login or Signup to post a comment