Start a new topic

Linking individuals to Org records as relationship

If this is already covered, please feel free to point me in the direction of the conversation--I just couldn't find it in a search.

We're trying to import doctors with hospital privileges. Our spreadsheet has name and Org info--our hospital (if they are hospital-employed) and their practice if not hospital-employed. If the doc is in our database, we'd like to match, leave the home address as preferred, link to the org record as a relationship if that org is already in our database, but add the org onto the relationship tab if not.

If the doc is new to our database, we'd like to add with the linked org record showing as the prefered address.

My attempts have these results:

adding the org record, but not linking it, for existing docs

adding the org record but not linking for new docs with a second "preferred address" with just the phone and email of the org.

Obviously, I'm messing it up, and I plan to check at the Tuesday support team. But if I'm missing something easy, let me know, please. :)

Hi Karen,

This post describes importing individuals with an organization relationship and marking that organization address as the preferred (in this case, the individual also had a home address in the file).

It sounds like you may require a two pass import: one for the existing docs and one for the new.

It will help to take a look at your data file and IOM profile to see how you have everything currently set up. Please send these files to Support@omaticsoftware.com so that I can better assist you with this import. When I have a resolution, I will post to this thread.

To send your IOM profile, please follow these steps:

* Go to IOM Configuration

* Highlight the name of the profile you are using

* Right click on it and choose to export

* Send the .xml file that is created

* It will be named in this fashion: IOM_Profile_Export_.xml

Thanks!
Amanda
Omatic Support

Thank you again Karen and Stacie for sending those files over, and for joining me in Office Hours!

Luckily we did not need do to a two-pass import since we weren't importing both a home and a business address.

To be sure and link to the existing organization record, we chose the option to "Search for possible duplicates first but add as a non-constituent if no matches are found" in the processing rules, under Relationships --> Organization.

For the new constituent records, we wanted to use the organization's address as the preferred. To do this, we created virtual columns and copied the address for the organization.

Virtual columns are a blanket application and apply to every row in the data file. Because we wanted to keep the home address as the preferred for existing records, we altered the processing rules under Addresses.

We bumped up the similarity score to 99 and chose the option to "Always ignore new address information". With this option, the organization's address was not copied over for the existing records, only for the new records.

After testing a couple of rows with both new and existing records, we were happy with the results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Amanda
Omatic Support

Login or Signup to post a comment