Start a new topic

Autofilling multiple action feilds

Good morning all!

I'm working on some code for an import where each record can have multiple actions (each action being different) and as each action is being added I need to add a completed date, category, date added, and date fields (that all vary depending on which action is being added). When I go to test my code it doesn't throw any errors but I can't get it to modify the data in the record to add the correct dates and modify the category.

I was wondering if I could acquire some assistance in figuring out why the records won't update with the information I need to have autofilled. I am new to API and RE in general (only been here for about a month and a half) so I'm sorry if I'm not as clear about what I'm trying to do. If you have questions let me know and I can try to explain myself a bit better.

Here's what I have so far:

Public Overrides Sub AfterConstituentOpen(ByVal oRec As CRecord, ByVal Cancel As iCancel)
   MyBase.AfterConstituentOpen(oRec, Cancel)
  Dim oAction As Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.CAction
  Dim sConstitID as String =  1

For Each oAction In oRec.Actions

If (
 oAction .Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EActionFields.Action_fld_type).Value.Contains("Attended 2006 Gala 5-27-2006"))Then

'^this is where I'm trying to find the event in the record

oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_COMPLETED_DATE).Value="05/27/2006"

'^this is where I'm trying to add this field and the ones below to the record given the event found.
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE).Value="05/27/2006"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE_ADDED).Value="05/27/2006"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_CATEGORY).Value="Task/Other"
ElseIf(
 oAction .Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EActionFields.Action_fld_type) = "Attended Animalerie 10-22-2004" )Then

oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_COMPLETED_DATE).Value = "10/22/2004"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE).Value = "10/22/2004"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE_ADDED).Value = "10/22/2004"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_CATEGORY).Value= "Task/Other"

ElseIf(
 oAction .Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EActionFields.Action_fld_type) = "Attended Big Bend 3-31-2011" )Then

oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_COMPLETED_DATE).Value = "03/31/2011"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE).Value = "03/31/2011"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE_ADDED).Value = "03/31/2011"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_CATEGORY).Value= "Task/Other"

ElseIf(
 oAction .Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EActionFields.Action_fld_type) = "Attended Bittersweet Harvest 2-25-2011") Then

oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_COMPLETED_DATE).Value = "02/25/2011"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE).Value = "02/25/2011"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE_ADDED).Value = "02/25/2011"

ElseIf(
 oAction .Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EActionFields.Action_fld_type) = "Attended Buck Winn 12-7-2010" )Then

oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_COMPLETED_DATE).Value = "12/07/2010"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE).Value = "12/07/2010"
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE_ADDED).Value = "12/07/2010"

End If

Next oAction
oAction = Nothing

End Sub

Thanks for all your help in advance!!!

-Matt

What does your import profile look like? Do you have a column for each new action? One action per row?

Posted By Wayne Pozzar on 27 Oct 2014 11:57 AM
What does your import profile look like? Do you have a column for each new action? One action per row?

I've got one action per Column. 

ex.

AS-Attended 2006 Gala 05.27.2006-Action-Type-1- no dictionary

And the same action is always in the same column?
AS Attended 2006 Gala 05.27.2006 Action Type 1
AT Attended Animalerie 10.22.04 Action Type 1
AU Attended Big Bend 3.31.2011 Action Type 1
AV Attended Bittersweet Harvest 2.25.2011 Action Type 1
AW Attended Buck Winn 12.7.2010 Action Type 1

This is what part of the profile looks like. I have almost 30 actions total, each action is listed in a single column as a action type.

Let me know if that helps at all.

Wow!

This is not an easy import.

First off, I would say that you would be better off with an import file that has a row for each event repeating the constituent where needed.  I'm not 100% on what your import file looks like but something like this.

Original

ID    Action 1     Action 2 
 1 Yes  Yes
 2  No  Yes

Would be
ID    Action
 1 Action 1
 1 Action 2
 2 Action 2

That way you can key off of the action name and get the appropriate dates & values

Then I would make dictionaries for each of the values that you need to add (just need Date and Category I think since the dates are the same)

A date dictionary would be something like

Value                Match
 7/1/2013 Action 1
 8/1/2013 Action 2

And category dictionary

Value                     Match
Task/Other Action 1
Meeting Action 2

You can make these in excel first and then copy them into dictionaries with a right click.

Then you could make a profile like this

Column  Field Name         Record Type   Value Type         Function     SEED   Dictionary 
 A  ID
 Constituent  ID        
 B  Action  Action  Type

Virtual  Date  Action  Date  Copy Field  B  DateDictionary
 Virtual  Completed Date  Action  Completed Date  Copy Field  B  DateDictionary
 Virtual  Date Added  Action  Date Added  Copy Field  B   DateDictionary
 Virtual  Category  Action  Category  Copy Field  B   CategoryDictionary

Then, when you run the import, it will look up the date & category based on the action name and create the action!

Posted By Wayne Pozzar on 27 Oct 2014 03:29 PM
Wow!

This is not an easy import.

No kidding,

The dataset is currently almost 6000 records strong. I was hoping to avoid having to rewrite the entire file. If I can't code it though, I've been discussing whether or not it may be easier to just do a glogal change (to add all the actions) once all the records are imported. Thanks for the help Wayne, If you are able to figure out any other way to get this done or have any other suggestions I'm open to options; I'm not throwing out the idea of modifying the import file either.

Thanks again for the help,

Matt

It wouldn't be hard to change the file from the current format to the one I suggested.

If you want to email it to me I can do it quickly.

Two other suggestions would be to create a custom function for each action/column that sets the relevant data or use excel to add the relevant data columns to the import file using index/match.
Posted By Wayne Pozzar on 28 Oct 2014 09:17 AM
It wouldn't be hard to change the file from the current format to the one I suggested.

If you want to email it to me I can do it quickly.

Two other suggestions would be to create a custom function for each action/column that sets the relevant data or use excel to add the relevant data columns to the import file using index/match.

I haven't tried either of those yet, I was messing with it earlier (before I saw your comments) and I can get the script to actually run if I run it as a second pass. So I import the files and then run a second pass to modify the actions that are imported through the profile. I also added some msgbox(es) to work as breaks to help me determine how far I'm getting.

From what I've figured out is its getting past the

"For Each oAction In oRec.Actions"

and then it's erroring telling me that

"Error in custom code BeforeConstituentSave: Public member 'Value' on type 'String' not found. Line:0 -->ImportOM.CImport.Process()"

Any ideas what might be causing this error?

Here's the modified code:

For Each oAction In oRec.Actions
msgbox("Action started")

If (
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EActionFields.Action_fld_type).Value.Contains("Attended 2006 Gala 5-27-2006"))Then
 msgbox("found attended event")

oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_COMPLETED_DATE).Value="05/27/2006"
 msgbox("date completed modified")
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE).Value="05/27/2006"
 msgbox("date field modified")
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_DATE_ADDED).Value="05/27/2006"
 msgbox("date added modified")
 oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_CATEGORY).Value="Task/Other"
 msgbox("action category modified")

If all else fails Wayne, I might see about sending you the action section of the excel doc.

@Geraldo I tried adding the oAction.Save earlier and it seems it's not even getting that far to have any information to save, but if I get that far and it's still giving me an error I'll keep that in mind too.

Ah, when dealing with RE API fields you don't need .Value

You can just remove them!
Posted By Wayne Pozzar on 28 Oct 2014 04:09 PM
Ah, when dealing with RE API fields you don't need .Value

You can just remove them!

I'll give that a try and let you know if that fixes the issue.

Thanks!

Unfortunately that didn't fix it. Same error and stopping point. Wayne is it possible that I've put script in the wrong sub function? I'm trying to think if there is anywhere else it could go.
Any other thoughts?
The error says "BeforeConstituentSave" but I think the code you are editing is in "AfterConstituentOpen" right?

I would check that sub for any .Value references.
It was in the AfterConstituentOpen, but I guess when I rebuilt the profile and code I put it in the BeforeConstituentSave without realizing it. I'll try moving it back to AfterConstituentOpen and see if that fixes the error. Good catch
Do all of your actions have the date as the last word in the Action Type? If so you can use this code to pull that off and automatically generate the date of the action from the Type Name

Dim sActionType As String
Dim sDate As String
Dim aGetDate As String()

sActionType = oAction.Fields(Blackbaud.PIA.RE7.BBREAPI.EACTIONFields.ACTION_fld_TYPE)
' Breaks the string down by space into an array
aGetDate = Split(sActionType)
' Sets sDate to be the Parsed version of the last item in the array
sDate = Date.Parse(aGetDate(UBound(aGetDate))).ToString("d")
Login or Signup to post a comment